Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Gospel According to Paul

I've said it once before but it bears repeating: Paul Ingram is the world's best bookseller. If you don't believe me, check out what he's been doing in and around eastern Iowa to introduce lesser-known titles -- Paul's Picks -- to communities without access to independent bookstores. He calls it his "Ministry of Books."

As my parting gift to him I have written a bookbuyer's lament for the back-page of Publishers Weekly about his Ministry of Books and his uncanny ability to judge a reader by her cover. It's a little over-the-top, but hey, that's how much his spirit moves me.

Here's another place where Paul announces his current picks. He recently started writing a column for the local rag the Little Village as well, but the writing there doesn't really capture who Paul is. For that, check out the videos he has started putting on YouTube.

Imagine what would happen if one bookseller from every independent bookstore did even half of what Paul is doing.

1 comment:

Loren said...

Hi Emily -- This is Loren Keller, editor of CorridorBUZZ.com, and I'm posting a comment here because I'm not sure how to reach you otherwise... but I really liked your piece on Paul Ingram in Publishers Weekly (among other articles by you that I've read in ArtScene and elsewhere.) Interested in writing about books for the Buzz? If so please feel free to drop me an email sometime (editor@corridorbuzz.com)and we can discuss details.

Cheers,
Loren